Thursday, November 14, 2013

Bulbophyllum longissimum, growing on and around a basket




I when I got this Bulbophyllum longissimum I wondered what would be a good way to pot it.  I decided that the best way to pot it would be in a wire basket.  The idea was that the plant would be able to grow on top of the basket for a few years and if any pseudobulb grew out of it, the stem could be bent so that it could continue growing down the open sides of the basket.  The plant has thrived on the basket.  Although most of the pseudobulbs are growing on the top of the basket, several are growing on the sides with no loss of vigor or of its capacity to produce flowers.  The basket is two and a half inches deep.  I have found that any additional basket depht confers no advantages to growing this plant.

No comments: