Thursday, October 10, 2013

Bulbophyllum echinolabium J.J. Sm. 1934, a plant product of the cross of two selected clones




The flowers of Bulbophyllum echinolabium are among the largest of the genus Bulbophyllum.   This orchid appears regularly at orchid shows in the island, usually represented by one or two plants.  I the past I have not been interested in this plant, mainly because I didn’t like the color of the flowers.  Those plants that I had seen had flowers with muddy yellowish colors that I found unappealing.  But this plant I saw at the 2013 Mayaguez orchid festival changed my opinion.  Not only the flower is large and well-presented but the color (at least in my view) is much nicer than I had seen previously.  This plant is the product of a cross of two selected clones.  Unfortunately I forgot to write down the names of the parents of this particular plant.   But for now on I will be on the lookout for plants product of crosses of superior parents.

No comments: